Neighbourhood Safer Places
When all else fails - other options in your Bush Fire Survival Plan no longer able to be put into action safely - head for your nearest Neighbourhood Safer Place.
These are officially-designated places of last resort during a bush fire emergency.
For residents of Exeter, Sutton Forest and Werai, the most local Neighbourhood Safer Places are Exeter Oval and the carparks of the Coles Shell Service Stations on the freeway.
A full list of Neighbourhood Safer Places within the Wingecarribee area appears below, and everyone should be aware of alternatives - which should be noted in your Bush Fire Survival Plan - and how to get there by alternate routes in case any road is blocked or too dangerous to use.
PLEASE NOTE that travelling to or sheltering at a Neighbourhood Safer Place does not guarantee your safety, and remember:
- Your safest option will always be to leave early.
- People with special needs, such as the elderly and people with disabilities, should leave the area before serious threat of bush fire.
- If it is unsafe to leave or stay and defend your property, and the path is clear, head for your pre-identified Neighbourhood Safer Place, or other safer location, prior to the impact of a bush fire.
- Be aware that when you are travelling to your Neighbourhood Safer Place there may be heavy smoke and poor visibility.
- Gather your family at the Neighbourhood Safer Place location and remain there until the bush fire threat has passed.
- The conditions at the Neighbourhood Safer Place may be uncomfortable and you may be affected by heat, smoke and embers.
- Water, toilets and/or food may not always be available at the Neighbourhood Safer Place and emergency service personnel may not be present.
- Neighbourhood Safer Places are not intended for pets and livestock - with the Moss Vale Showground and stock yards better choices.
Wingecarribee Neighbourhood Safer Places
|Berrima Reserve||Open Space||Corner of Old Hume Highway and Market Place, Berrima|
|Bowral CBD||Open Space||Bong Bong Road, Bowral|
|Bundanoon Oval||Open Space||Erith Street, Bundanoon|
|Bunnings Car Park||Open Space||Tyree Place, Braemar|
|Coles Express Suttons Forest Service Stations (North and South)||Open Space||Hume Highway, Suttons Forest|
|Colo Vale Community Hall||Building||28 Railway Avenue, Colo Vale|
|Exeter Oval||Open Space||Exeter Road, Exeter|
|Gantry Place, Willow Vale||Open Space||Gantry Place, Willow Vale|
|Hill Top RFS Station||Building||West Parade, Hill Top|
|Lackey Oval||Open Space||Lackey Road, Moss Vale|
|Loseby Park||Open Space||Corner of Sheffield Road and Park Road, Bowral|
|Northern Entrance to Golf Course||Open Space||Railway Terrace Gate or Cordeaux Street Gate, Willow Vale|
|Penrose Rural Fire Station||Building||Crn Kareela Road & Penrose Forest Road, Penrose|
|Robertson Community Centre||Open Space||Caalong Street, Robertson|
|Welby Hall||Building||Currockbilly Street, Welby|
|Winfred Park||Open Space||Regent Street, Mittagong|
|Wingello CBD||Building||Railway Parade, Wingello|
|Yerrinbool RFS Station||Building||Everest Street, Yerrinbool|